Waiting On Ruby

Disclaimer:  I'm writing this so I can remember all these details.  And the details are way TMI.  So, you've been warned.  If you're of the male species, especially a family member, you should probably head on over to Buzzfeed now...

How I spent hours this week - Bouncing

So, today I'm 40 weeks 3 days along.  Never in a million years did I think I'd still be pregnant.  I didn't think I'd ever see my due date, not to mention pass it.  Being way pregnant is so not fun.  I didn't have to experience the last month (plus) of pregnancy agony with my boys, and I'd highly recommend that to anyone.  This stuff isn't for the weak - not sleeping, having Braxton Hicks contractions night and day, swelling hands and feet, and earning your sausage fingers.  Not to mention how difficult it is on you emotionally - thinking everyday is the day, thinking your water could break at any second every time your head hits the pillow at night, having false alarms with painful and timeable contractions, packing your hospital bag and then refusing to take it all back upstairs - or so I've heard.

Just so I remember in the future, here's what's been leading up to Ruby's arrival so far...

Tuesday 6/11 - False Labor.  Contractions every 7 minutes for an hour and a half, then had three in a row that were one minute apart.  Decided to do my hair and makeup - my traditional early labor routine - and to finish packing my bag while Kyle went up to bed, to ensure he was well rested for what was obviously about to happen that night.   Contractions completely stopped.  (Now eleven days later - Packed bag still downstairs, toiletries still in downstairs bathroom.  Have refused to take them back upstairs.  So mature, I know.)

Friday 6/14 - 39 week midwife appt, checked and found to be 2cm dilated and 50% effaced.  Membranes were stripped so I decided to walk after my appt before getting some yummy lunch with my sister.  Crampy, but not having contractions.

Sunday  6/16 - Woke up and lost my mucus plug.  Like, the whole thing.  That's never happened to me before, it's always been a little at a time over the course of a few days.  It was also tinged with blood, meaning it was my "bloody show."  What progress!  Was over-the-moon excited that baby might be coming today.  Talk about amazing timing, God, it's Father's Day!  Had consistent contractions all through church, only to have everything fizzle out by that afternoon.

Monday 6/17 - Hubby decided since our daily walks weren't doing the trick, that we'd head on over to Renfrew Park to hike.  For over an hour.  On two different trails.  Wow.  Was painful, but did not produce contractions.

Wednesday 6/19 - My due date.  Had an awful appt with a midwife this day.  She didn't know my history and started our interaction by saying, "So this is your third baby."  I corrected her and said that it was my fourth, and without making eye contact, searching my chart, she replied, "You have three live children at home?"  I said, "No, I have two at home, but I count Gabe.  He counts."  She mumbled something about that being "fine" and that she just wanted to make sure the numbers in my chart were "right."  My goodness, I should have known then that the appointment was going downhill.

I cried as I explained my increased anxiety, that I had never been this pregnant before, that I was worried about Ruby's health and safety.  Asked about getting an ultrasound for peace of mind, and that because I wanted a natural birth this time around I was (up until today) trying to avoid an induction.  She said I needed to be patient, that this was why they say that every pregnancy is different, and that no testing would be scheduled until I hit 41 weeks, next Wednesday.

Good news, I was checked and found to be 3cm and 60% effaced, so that's progress in just a matter of days!  I was still crying when she walked out of the room and nonchalantly said, with the door open, that it wasn't good for me to be stressed, and that if I was going to be "like this" for the next week that I could have an elective induction.  I had to take five minutes to compose myself in the exam room before heading out to schedule the ultrasound and non-stress test for next week.

Thursday 6/20 - Decided to take this natural induction stuff seriously.  Bounced on a birthing ball for about 2.5 hours.  Could barely walk afterwards.  Produced good, painful contractions and an entire evening of feeling uncomfortable.  But, nothing progressed.

Friday 6/21 - Got a million texts and emails proclaiming "Today's the day!" because the 21st is the date that both Gabriel and Zoe were born on.  It was a nice thought - if Ruby came this day, we would have had a 21st baby for June, July, and August.  Which would have been really cool.  Except she didn't want to come this day.  Even after spending 2 hours doing nipple stimulation, with an hour of bouncing on my ball in between sessions.  Wowsers.  I did have contractions all afternoon throughout this lovely process, but they were mostly BH, not too painful.  Got a date night and walked in Renfrew park again, causing a lot of pain - but again, not regular contractions.

Saturday 6/22 - Feeling discouraged that all other induction methods have just left me in pain, exhausted, and without a baby in my arms.  So, decided I'd just drink 4 cups of Red Raspberry Leaf Tea.  And then decided that wasn't enough... so we went for a walk, and now I'm doing a little more bouncing.  Another day of feeling very done emotionally.  I'm beyond the point where I think this is even going to happen.  I have been trying to make jokes to keep my spirits up, "Kyle, I'm really sorry that I made you get the bassinet up from the basement.  Too bad we'll never have a baby to put in there."  "Well, we should probably go ahead and register her for Kindergarten, since she'll be inside until then."  Yeah...  As I've been reminded, "No one has ever been pregnant forever," but man does it feel like I'm gonna be the first!!

Bouncing...
At least my toes are painted!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table for Six

My Tattoos...

Horrible, Thanks for Asking