Skip to main content

Obedience to His Call

After five months of shaking my head "no," I have decided to join my church's Counseling Ministry.

Truth be told, I've been very busy convincing myself that the timing just wasn't right - being a stay at home mom with small children, due with another this June.  But there was no escaping the obvious tug my heart was feeling on a weekly basis - as I heard story after story of those who are hurting, and thought about how my skills could be used to help others.  I finally realized that it does not matter what I've got going on in MY life, I am being called to do this.  And to do it now.

At first I assumed my "ministry" would be to pray for and walk along side other parents who are grieving.  Losing Gabriel has given me immense empathy for those dealing with grief and loss.  Because I've been blogging since April 2009 - I literally have pictures, words, and memories I can share with others, but I began to realize what a healing experience it would be to be able to meet with someone in person, and actually share life with them. 

The good news is that I have a degree in Social Work, life experience, and a strong desire to counsel others.  And here's the "silver-lining" way of thinking about it:  Because of the things I've endured, I now have empathy for a variety of issues and problems. Which is really important in counseling - people want to know that you understand what they're going through.

I have experience with divorce:  I'm a child of a broken home, as my parents separated the year I turned twelve, which caused many issues with male acceptance, self esteem, etc.

I have experience with unhealthy relationships:  I myself was a divorced woman by the age of 20 after experiencing a verbally, physically, financially, and mentally abusive relationship with a drug addict.  Silver lining - this lead to an awesome job doing professional counseling with abused women, before I started my family five years ago.

And, I have experience with grief and loss.  God is asking me to use my degree as well as my listening skills and empathy to serve others.  Right now.  So, I'm going to listen and obey.

And this is the kind of thing that surfaces when you pray, "This life is not my own, but YOURS." 

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"  And I said, "Here I am!  Send me!" - Isaiah 6:8 

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. - 2 Corinthians 1:3-5 

I would appreciate your prayers as I begin this new chapter in my life.
That I would lean on God and allow the Holy Spirit to guide the new relationships I will be building with others.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Table for Six

Horrible, Thanks for Asking

My Tattoos...