Thursday Thoughts - From House to Home

Hello readers!  I feel like I have a million things going on in  my head, and one thought is clear - I've got to start writing more.  I've said it a million times - it's therapeutic, helps me gain insight, and allows me to clear my mind.

Dare I say, I'm going to try to start two entries a week - Thursday Thoughts and Monday Memoirs.  My "thoughts" will probably be random and change week to week, and my "memoirs" will be letters to my children.  Something specifically for them to read in the coming years.

So what's in my head today that I just MUST share.  Oh, this house.  Kyle found this listing online, and instantly fell in love.  I was really pregnant with Ruby, remembering our last move when I was really pregnant with Joel, and was trying my best to be a supportive wife.  I vividly remember the first time he brought me to see the property.  He had already been over several times.  Once with a realtor, then a few more times just to "check" on everything, because he already felt like it was ours.

Family Portrait on our Property

The home is on 5.5 wooded acres.  We have our own water, septic, an outdoor woodstove, and plenty of land to start Kyle's beloved gardens.  It's as much "off the grid" as we can get, without having to move far away from our families.  It's "mountain living."

Kyle was sold.  I had to be convinced.  But this house is one more example of how Kyle and I (complete opposites) work.  He's the visionary, I'm the pessimist.  He's calm, I'm anxious.  He simply painted a picture of what the house could be for us, and slowly but surely, project by project, he's making this house an amazing home for us.  A dream home for me.

He completed the master bedroom and bathroom, and just purchased a jet tub to update the one already there.  He's painted and refreshed.  He has chopped dead trees and uncovered the ivy-filled front hill seen from the road.  He gathered stones all over the property to make raised bed gardens in the center of our circular driveway.  He's amazing.  (You can see more detailed pictures and descriptions of all the work Kyle's done HERE.)

Natural Light and Calm Surroundings

It was a long and icy winter, but with lots of time spent inside, I began to realize this house that was his dream - had everything I've always wanted in our home, too.  A big master bedroom, with double closets and a huge master bath with double sinks - all on the main level.  Main level laundry - no more going to the basement to start the wash, and walking up two sets of stairs to put the clothes away.  A playroom for my kids and all their toys - no more cluttered living and dining spaces.  A foyer for all the coats, shoes, and bookbags.  A much bigger kitchen.  Bigger bedrooms for the kids, who also have their own bathrooms.  It's all here.

It took time, but his vision, his dream - I'm sold.  I get it now.  Even as I sit here typing this, the doors are open and all you can hear are birds happily chirping.  Quite a difference from our first home - right along a busy road.  Morning "quiet times" filled with the sounds of traffic.

This is different.  This is "mountain living."  Our neighbors are friendly and helpful.  Everyone waves and the sweet lady who delivers our mail is a delight.  The UPS guy loves our dog.  You go to the bank and they treat you like family.  You go to the store and they remember your face.  And just the other night, I "got it" even more.  We were enjoying dusk on the screened-in front porch.  Just sitting in the quiet, talking about our days.  No tv, no music, no kids - ha!  Our sweet dog was clearly alerted by something so we looked in the same direction and, right in front of us, two beautiful deer.  Leaping and jumping across the small road into the woods that separate our home from our neighbor's property.

I looked over at Kyle and said, "That was MAJESTIC!"

Zoe enjoying the Front Porch


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table for Six

Horrible, Thanks for Asking

My Tattoos...