The Memorial Tattoo

I originally started writing after we received my son's fatal diagnosis.  You can catch up on that blog here.  A wise friend suggested I start a website, a place to update family and friends, knowing that it would be mentally exhausting to talk to people one at a time.  Then two years ago I started this site with blogspot.  There have been over 100 posts written in the last two years, but there continues to be one entry read more times than all the others.  The one about the tattoos.

It was a fun one to write.  Taking the time to look back on all the ink, the reasons I originally got them done, and how they have transformed as I have matured.  I specifically remember getting an email from a mom after she read that entry.  Her adult son was covered in tattoos, and she didn't really understand the point behind it all.  She said my blog helped her understand that tattoos can be a way you share your life and faith with others.  She encouraged me with my writing, thanked me for my honesty, and took the time to remind me what a difference I was making.  Her words won't soon be forgotten.

At the end of that blog post, I promised to update my readers if I ever did decide on a memorial tattoo for my Gabriel.  And if we're friends on FB, Instagram, or even in real life - you know that has happened!



It was my longest tattoo in the making, taking me literally years to finalize the "what" and "where."  It is by far the largest tattoo I have, and the placement is perfect.  It's on my upper, inner left arm, the exact placement of my husband's one and only tattoo.  (Bet you didn't even know he has one.)  It peeks out from a short-sleeved top, but it would take conscience effort from me to show you the entire piece.  Kind of like my Gabriel.  You may not be able to see him, but he's most definitely a part of who I am.  I knew I didn't want it to be in color, since everything else I have is in black and grey, but I told my guy he could add some white.  I am still in awe of how well it turned out.  I love the detail of the feathers in the wing, and the feminine touch of the frame around his initial.  Even the "G" took a lot of research, as most uppercase examples were difficult to decipher, and I wanted it to be obvious that it was for my Gabriel.

As many intentional photos I've taken of the piece, I also love that it accidentally shows up in most selfies.  Because my left side is my best side.  Obviously.

With my little man, both wearing our Gabe shirts.
With my beautiful sister, expecting her first in September!  (A baby, not a tattoo.)

I'm so grateful to Jason Dorrier at Olde Line Tattoo for taking lots of time and patience with me to create the perfect piece to memorialize my sweet little man.  Highly recommend them, if you're ready to add to your own collection.  Thanks for reading, friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table for Six

Horrible, Thanks for Asking

My Tattoos...