The Little Things

Sometimes when I'm overwhelmed with life, when my kids are acting like kids, I glance over at my sister and say, "This is my life."  It always gets a good laugh.  Today I'm having one of those, "Is this really my life?!" moments.  Not a woe-is-me feeling, but a life-is-GOOD.

I just paused from washing the dishes in my kitchen to write this blog.  I can hear the joyful sounds of Joel and Zoe playing outside.  I look out the window above the sink to see a bush carefully holding a nest of newborn birds.  And I easily glance at the play area my husband has made for our kiddos to enjoy.  I take another second to peek out the windows in the laundry room - which have new bamboo curtains at the halfway point down, so that I can have privacy, but Kyle can take easily keep an eye on our beautifully wooded lot to see deer running by or foxes playing with our dog.  For real.

I catch a glimpse of the kids, playing at the newly built picnic table.  My husband just put that "little" project together yesterday while the kids and I were in WV visiting dear friends.  We spent our day playing, eating gluten-free banana bread, catching up on life, and scheduling our next wine date.  Seriously.

And to top off my amazing morning, I have a new hero.  I know I'm late to the party, but I just discovered the awesomeness that is "Momastery."

A sweet friend of mine suggested I check out her Facebook page, so I decided to spend some time stalking.  Her name is Glennon Doyle Melton, best selling author of  Carry on, Warrior.  (Yes, I've already purchased the book, should be here in two days.)  And she's so honest and raw, I have fallen in love.  Right on her homepage are the words "you belong here" and a video from her speech on TedTalks, entitled "Lessons from the Mental Hospital."  Be still my heart.

It's been a minute since I had that feeling that someone really got me.  I watched that video and felt so understood.  No, I don't have a problem with alcohol or bulimia, but her words resonated within me. "I've finally accepted the fact that sensitive is just how I was made. That I don't have to hide, I don't have to fix it, I'm not broken."  Love that.

Take the time to glance around at all things going right, because it's far too easy to sit in darkness, only recognizing all that is wrong.  Happy Friday, friends!



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Table for Six

Horrible, Thanks for Asking

My Tattoos...