Monday Memoirs

My dear Joel,

You're officially six years old!  It's very hard for Momma to believe.  It really does seem like just yesterday that I was in the hospital having you.  Here's your birth story, if you want to relive those amazing moments.  I'm sitting here in awe, thinking about that day.  What a gift you are to me, Joel.  You are the little man responsible for turning me into a Momma!  I'm so incredibly blessed by your little life.

I continue to be so amazed at the young man you are becoming.  You have the sweetest temperament, which obviously comes from your loving Daddy.  Your heart is full of genuine empathy, and it's truly amazing to see.  And you have a crazy amount of gratitude.  You are thankful for life's everyday gifts like occasional ice cream treats and getting to wear your favorite Lego t-shirt.

Just this morning, I was feeding Ruby breakfast and I was reminded of you at her age.  I pointed out to you that Ruby barely opens her mouth big enough for me to get the spoon in.  But when you were that small, I explained, you would open up your mouth as wide as you could.  Anxious for every bite.  I said, "We used to call you baby bird."  Your whole face lit up.  You smiled and said, "Thank you for calling me that when I was a baby.  That's very cute."

Who says that?!  You do, sweet boy.  You do.


We recently celebrated your birthday with immediate family and your very best friend, Elijah.  You two have loved each other since you were babies.  I love that at this point in your life, we're able to handpick your BFF.  Daddy and I are very close to his parents, seeing them at least three times a week.  We tried to make this party extra special for you.  For this year's party, you chose a Ninja Turtle theme and I got on Pinterest looking for cute ideas to decorate.  It was the first time I attempted to make things a little over the top, and you seemed to really appreciate that.  Daddy came up with the idea to have a scavenger hunt for you and your little guests, and left notes all around for you to follow specific directions.  It ended with you and Elijah pulling two swords out of a giant stone, with instructions to fight all the men at the party!  It was epic.



I'm so looking forward to spending the summer with you.  You've enjoyed Kindergarten so much.  You entered not being able to read many words, and are now reading chapter books.  You still amaze yourself when you realize you can read most anything, from signs along the street when we're in the car, to Facebook status updates when you're looking over my shoulder.  Now we have a few months off from school, where you can play outside, spend "boy time" with Daddy, and start swimming lessons!  I'm sure you'll grow another two feet over the summer and you'll look even older by the time you're an official first grader.  Sigh.

You often ask me if I'm sad that you're growing.  Probably because you've heard me say it about your baby sister, Ruby, getting bigger.  The last time I said, "Well, It's a tough question to answer! God made you to grow big and strong and I'm looking forward to seeing what big plans He has in store for you!"  And you remarked, "You didn't answer the question."  Ha!  What a fine counselor you are.  So, to answer your question, yes.  It does make me sad that despite my desire for you to stay little, you continue to grow and mature.  But, I know that's a selfish emotion, so I'm working towards being happy about it.  How's that?

Love you little man.  Always,

Momma

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table for Six

Horrible, Thanks for Asking

My Tattoos...