My Timing VS. God's Timing

Waiting on Ruby's arrival was really tough for me.  Like, up there with carrying Gabriel to term.  Obviously, now that I have a healthy baby girl in my arms, this seems ridiculous.  But, alas, it's how I felt in the waiting period.

I was growing more and more impatient, anxious, and bitter.  It's not a good state of mind to be in.  I knew all I could do was cry out to Jesus, and everyday that she didn't come, and I felt like He didn't hear me, I wanted to grow further away from Him.

It's funny how we say we believe that God is all-knowing, all-powerful, and yet we try to put Him in our own little box, limiting the way we view His knowledge and abilities.  We say we trust in His timing, but then we softly remind Him of our own agenda.

There were several days I thought would be perfect birthdays for my Ruby.  Father's Day.  Our 8 year wedding anniversary.  June 26th just cause it was 6/26 and I liked the repeating 6's.  Hey, I was growing desperate.  And at the beginning of those days, I would kind of smirk, saying to God,

"Oh, I see what you're gonna do.  Well, good job.  I concur.  Today would be pretty perfect."

And then I'd go to bed thinking, "Well, tonight's the night if it's gonna happen on this day," and inevitably wake up discouraged and hugely disappointed.

In the end, Ruby came in God's perfect timing.  Not mine.  In fact, He let me know that I had nothing to do with it.  For weeks, I had tried all the "tricks," but none of them worked.  Her arrival was going to have nothing to do with me, my efforts, or my actions.  And those last few weeks brought nothing but a few extra pounds and a few extra stretch marks.  Talk about a lesson in humility.  Okay, God!  I get it now!

Ruby was officially eight days late, but my labor was completely natural and only four hours long.  I was only at the hospital an hour and twenty-three minutes before she made her arrival.  I didn't have time for the annoying IV to be placed, or for the routine blood work to be done.  I didn't even get officially admitted to the hospital until after she was born.

And, as it turns out, she's the best baby in the whole, wide world.  For real.  They say full-term/overdue babies are more content and are able to breastfeed and sleep well, compared to early babes.  This has definitely been the case for Miss Ruby.  She's been giving us a long stretch of sleep at night, since her first night at the hospital.  I won't tell you how long, for fear that I'll be bragging.  Yeah, it's that impressive.

Enjoy these pictures of our precious little girl...

Struggling to sit pretty with big brother's help...

Anddddd now she's over it! ;)


Comments

  1. Finally found my power cord and can comment from my computer instead of my flakey iPad. :) Miss Ruby is absolutely precious and I'm so happy she's here safe and sound!

    PS-looking for a new blog post....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Table for Six

Horrible, Thanks for Asking

My Tattoos...