The Love for a Daughter


I’ve been trying to write this blog for awhile now.  But, it’s hard to put my emotions into words.  Something BIG changed the day I had my daughter.  In so many ways.  On so many levels.  See what I mean?  It’s complicated.  But, I’ll try my best to explain…

First of all, my darling baby girl is the epitome of hope.  I actually wanted to name her Hope, but Daddy had the name Zoe picked out for years.  She is our Rainbow Baby, our Beauty after our Storm.  My gracious midwife allowed me to just hold and stare at her after she was born and placed on me, because she knew what happened the last time I gave birth.  She knew what a moment it was.  And the moment hasn’t ended.  Every time I look at her, I realize how blessed I am to have a healthy baby.  And how lucky am I that she also happens to be the prettiest baby ever made?!

Secondly, the fact that she is my first (and only?) girl has had a huge impact on me – from my self esteem to my outlook on life.  Having a girl immediately changed the way I viewed myself.  I finally understood that my own self worth would have to increase if I was ever going to be a great mom and role model for my daughter. 

A few months ago I heard a cute story on my favorite Christian radio station.  A little girl had ashamedly told her mother she had heard a bad word.  The F word.  The mother tried several times to convince the daughter she must tell her what she’d heard.  Finally the little girl, crying, whispered in her mother’s ear, “Fat.”

I love that story!!  I don’t want my daughter growing up in a house where she overhears her Momma (the first woman she’ll ever look up to) berating and beating herself up!  I want my daughter to grow into a mature, self assured young lady.  I want to be a kind, gentle voice.  An encouragement.  Her biggest fan.

And whenever that task seems too big, I just check the ol’ Handbook of Life and remind myself the fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. These are things that I want for my daughter, for myself.

Lastly, she is my joy.  She is my constant reminder that God is good, that he is faithful.  I now fully grasp that if you just hang on, keep the faith, better things are in store for you.  The faithful love of the Lord never ends!  His mercies never cease.  Great is his faithfulness; his mercies are new each morning.”

Comments

  1. I love this blog, for so many reasons. Her picture makes me smile! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Table for Six

My Tattoos...

Horrible, Thanks for Asking